After Almost 20 Years, Disney+ Drops a New Cut of the Final X-Files Release
The X-Files didn’t just air—it rewired TV’s DNA. Premiering on Fox in 1993 and running nine seasons, Chris Carter’s paranormal procedural amassed Emmys, sparked a global following around two FBI truth-seekers, and vaulted David Duchovny to stardom.
Well, this is a curveball I did not have on my 2026 bingo card: The X-Files is about to unleash the version of its second movie that Chris Carter actually meant you to see. If you remember I Want to Believe as the moody, oddly bloodless detour that showed up in 2008, the cut landing on Disney+ is not that movie.
The basics
- The X-Files: I Want to Believe — Director 's Cut hits Disney+ on June 11, 2026.
- It will appear as a bonus feature on the film 's existing page, not as a separate title.
- This is not the slightly longer 2008 home-video version (that one added about four minutes but stuck to the same PG-13 template).
- This new cut restores the horror material Fox executives and the MPAA pushed Carter to remove before the theatrical release.
What Carter says he finally put back
Carter started talking about this cut last year on David Duchovny's podcast, saying he had been greenlit to rebuild the film the way he intended before ratings and studio notes sanded off the edges. His rundown of 2008 is pretty blunt: he made the movie scarier than Fox wanted, they aimed for a PG-13, and then the MPAA sent them back to the editing bay again to trim it even further. Multiple rounds later, you got the version that opened in theaters — one Carter says looked notably different from the film he planned to make.
"I just got the go-ahead to do a Director's Cut of I Want to Believe. I can't tell you how excited I am about this."
"Now I have a chance to go back and make the scary movie that I always intended to make."
He framed the project as more than a vanity re-edit: the aim was to finally get the horror-forward story that lived on the page onto the screen, without the guardrails that defined the PG-13 release.
Quick refresher on where this fits
If you need the 10,000-foot view: The X-Files premiered on Fox in September 1993 and ran nine seasons through 2002, turning David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson into era-defining stars, racking up Emmys, and popularizing the kind of mythology-meets-procedural serial storytelling everyone else chased for a decade. The franchise jumped to theaters twice — first with the conspiracy- heavy Fight the Future in 1998, and then with 2008's I Want to Believe, a smaller, standalone thriller that reunited Mulder and Scully years after the show's original finish.
Why this cut matters (especially if you bounced off the 2008 version)
I Want to Believe did not land well. It sits at 32% on Rotten Tomatoes with both critics and verified audience members in the same boat, and it scraped together $69 million worldwide — not great for a brand this recognizable. Reviews at the time mostly complained that the movie swerved away from alien mythology into a grim serial-killer investigation powered by psychic visions. Carter's account of the edits puts a different light on that reaction: if the original horror spine was carved out to appease ratings and studio demands, no wonder it felt oddly defanged. This new cut is his attempt to put that spine back in.
Meanwhile, the next era is lining up
While the Director's Cut rolls onto Disney+, a fresh X-Files is brewing. Ryan Coogler — who just won the 2026 Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for his horror film Sinners — is developing a new pilot for Hulu. Danielle Deadwyler and Himesh Patel are set to star as a new pair of FBI investigators stepping into the paranormal mess Mulder and Scully left behind.
Bottom line
June 11, Disney+, bonus feature tab. If you wrote off I Want to Believe back in 2008, this is the version Carter says he meant you to see — the one that leans into the horror he was told to dial down. I am very curious to see how different it actually feels when the training wheels come off.